Saturday, March 12, 2011

Wetware: A different kind of programming

Dear Diary,
No, this isn’t going to be an entry about neural jacks and CyberPunk.  The “programming” in question is teaching: I am learning to teach Yoga.  Yes, this Codemonkey is also a budding Yogi!

As I have learned before, teaching can be a lot of work but also a lot of fun and a great learning experience to boot.  This teacher training is no exception.  We are entering the second weekend – Friday evening, all day Saturday and all day Sunday – and already I have learned a lot about what I don’t know and quite a bit more about some of the things I thought I did.

There is a lot of information you need to know in order to be able to keep your students safe and help them to achieve the correct alignment in the poses… “Activate the feet by pressing the toe mounds, outer edges of the feet and heels into the floor; lift the arches.  Contract the quadriceps.  Lift the pit of the abdomen.”  Who knew that standing still – Tadasana – was so complicated?  And those are just the basic instructions…

For four years Yoga has helped me to improve my physical and mental fitness and to undo the negative effects of living in ignorance of my body for three decades.  Soon I will be able to offer the same opportunity to others.  It is a heart-warming thought.

Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment